<


Rollin' the shit


GS850 Rebuild - Part 1

I finally managed to pick up of my second Suzuki, a shaft drive 1980 GS850 that I purchased off eBay for $700. I bought it with the intention of having a cheap but reliable bike that I can do my daily commute on, as the GSX is really starting to clock up the miles. I plan to cut the rear off it and turn it into a single seater, with a rattle can paint job and just a few custom bits - nothing flash, just rat it.




I like bits of all of the following GS's, so I am using these as examples on which to base mine...






The strip down of the GS has begun. I am still yet to get it to turn over, but believe that I have a problem with the starter motor or carbs, so will get onto that next. Anyway, I did manage to remove the rear guard, tank, covers and the exhaust (....I managed to shear two of the eight bolts in the process - fucket - now I have to get them out). Once I had completed that I was able to see what I have to work with, and man, I now realise that I have a lot of work in front of me!!

It was very obvious that this bike had sat out in the weather for a fair period of time before the guy that I bought it off had picked it up, so it will need a good clean before I start to disassemble the carbs or motor. The wiring is pretty average and will need attention, the exhaust system is fairly well rusted and the carbs are filthy - and thats just a few things. Luckily, the motor doesn't appear too bad, although there is a fair bit of oil on the front, centered around the number two exhaust outlet. I am still unsure whether the oil is from a leaking gasket or it has blown out of the exhaust port - I just hope its a gasket!!

I look at this bike and I am so tempted to get stuck into the cosmetics, but my first goal is to get the motor running, starting with the carbs. Only once that has been accomplished will I turn to modifying the look of the bike.



Sheared bolts after removing the exhaust system - bugger!!

Fair bit of oil on the front around the number two exhaust outlet - hidden by the frame

Tankless but filthy - that is what happens when left outside in the weather

I love the ass ends on these bikes - shaft drive really tidies em up!!

Carbs need a re-condition - have ordered parts for this already


Actually looks quite cool with the tail section removed


Carbs
Managed to remove the carburetors and begin stripping them down - man, there is no way this bike would have run for long had I not done so. Found a lot of loose hoses, screws and fittings and even the hose clamps around the rubber intake boots were loose. There was also a lot of dirt on and around the carbs - looks as if a wasp colony had at one stage decided to make it their home and left a few of their dead comrades in the casting holes of the carbys!!

After removing the carburetors I commenced on separating the four of them from their gang plate - from this point I plan to progressively strip, clean and reassemble one at a time in an effort to keep things as simple as possible. Nearly every screw (yes, they are screws, not socket heads!!) I have tried to remove has seized or is badly rusted, so it is slow going. Have been utilising my centre punch and hammer quite a bit to free these stuck screws and they will need replacing, but there are a few (especially on the the float bowl covers) that I have had to drill out. I am yet to get the first carb open (hopefully tonight), but looking in from the outside they don't seem like they are going to take too much work - not bad for a 28 year old bike.

Really is a learning process for me as I have never done anything like this before. I have an excellent set of instructions as well as a full set of O rings for the carb reconditioning courtesy of the GS Resources site and am planning to follow them as closely as possible. Reading what other guys have accomplished with these bikes really gives you the confidence and drive to do the same!!

Enjoying it so far.








Well, after stripping carb number one (in pic above) I have to say that I am glad I decided to do so. I found a lot of black sticky residue from old fuel and the float needle was near on impossible to remove from its sleeve - permanently stuck shut, which is not good when you consider that it is supposed to slide up and down dependent on the float assembly and feed fuel into the carb. Starting to make me realise why I couldn't get the bike to kick over.

Stay tuned - heaps more to come!!

Labels: , ,

5Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there. I just bought a gs 850 and I love the direction you're taking with the bike. I've started to hack away parts and get the bike to a stripped-down, single seater. I havent decided wether or not to hardtail it or not. I'm going from a 4-2 exhaust to four single straights and I was hoping that you might have a suggestion or two regarding the jet work. Thanks! lineman4u2@hotmail.com

January 24, 2009 at 5:48 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, I'm starting to fear that this may be a trend.... I also just bought an 82 GS 650 GT that had been sitting outside for way too long and needs major TLC.. the prev owner took a stab at the carbs and they are currently apart, could you publish your needle and jet settings(turns back)? That would be a tremendous help later on in my work.. I don't mind emailing back and forth and sharing suggestions... Starting tomorrow the bike is getting stripped and then the frame will go for sand blasting if I don't strip it myself.

Lets all share comments!!!
Mike
hdcrbeastie@hotmail.com

March 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM 
Anonymous Ryan said...

Speaking of trends... I recently purchased my first bike for $600, go figure its an 81 gs850. I wont be riding until the spring, the bike runs fantastically with only 24000 miles, but I'm doing some work to it over the winter months. Converting it to solo seat, changing ehaust, making it so it doesnt look like a suzuki any more. Im new to the whole bike project realm though, and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for me? online resources and manuels for the bike so I dont get myself into trouble tearing it apart! Thanks a bunch!
Email Magickman05@cs.com

October 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM 
Blogger michael said...

lmao. it is a trend. i bought me a 1980 suzuki gs850 a month ago. it had less than 20,00 miles and ran great untill 2 weeks ago. it kept draining the battery so i had to recharge it every night. i ordered a new stator but in the proccess of removing the crank case i had 3 severly stripped and rusted screws. so i had to drill out the core of the screws to releave the pressure so i could twist them out with pliers. im waiting on my order for the screws and gaskets. 2 days before i took out the old stator it wouldnt turn over. fresh fuel, clean carbs, new battery and yet it wont turn over. im waiting to put in the new stator till i get the screws and gaskets. hopefully it will run then.

March 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought an 83 Gs850 last summer for $700 from a guy a couple blocks away from me. Its my first bike. he said it didnt run right so i took the carbs off and cleaned them thuroughly. 4 times. Eventualy i got it running good enough that i rode it all summer and made several 40+ mile trips. Put it in my buddies garage to work on over the winter and am now getting ready to actually rebuild the carbs and get it back on the road. any tips will be appreciated!

April 2, 2014 at 3:38 AM 

Post a Comment

<<Home