<


Rollin' the shit


Kosciuszko Rally 2008

TO GEEHI AND BACK OR BURST...what not to do when heading off on a rally!

I did all my pre rally maintenance and decided to try for one last trip from my rear tyre. I loaded The Mistress up and headed off to the Geehi Hut on Friday, 17 October, for 2 nights in the mountains.

I went via the Princes Highway (including the old section) to Albion Park, up the Macquarie Pass to Moss Vale, before hopping onto the DRED to Goulburn and then onto Tarago, Bungendore, Queanbeyan and Cooma, before arriving at Adaminaby at 1:40 for lunch. Sarge had eaten and was waiting for me. So I tucked into a counter meal and a beer before we headed off for Khancoban via Kiandra and Cabramurra.

Over through the real twisty stuff we went, before stopping for a toilet break at 3 Mile Dam. I dragged out the camera and took a couple of pictures, before continuing through more of the twists and turns to Khancoban.



After grabbing ice at Khancoban Roadhouse, we headed off to Geehi and just as I was really getting into the groove of some nice tight corners, I came across Murray 1 power station and stopped for a photo. As I pulled the camera out Sarge rolled in behind me and spotted some shiny wire exposed in the centre of my rear tyre tread. Trying for one more trip from my rear tyre, coupled with accepting poor advice from my last shop visit on tyre pressure was a mistake. Being at the point of no return we continue at a more subdued pace for the last 15 or so K's..



We set up camp on arrival to the Geehi Hut camping grounds, as we usually do at any rally. Put the beers and perishables on ice and cracked a couple of beers after they chilled and decided to fix the tyre problem the next morning. Ian and Jen were onsite already, a caravanning holiday down to Phillip Island and decided to finish it with the rally, which they normally attend on their bikes. After dinner, we sat around the fire sharing some yarns and having a few drinks as you do before heading to bed.



After breakfast Saturday morning and Sarge asking me what my plan of attack might be on the tyre. I told him my brother was riding up from Albury and with my full Tyrepliers kit packed instead of just the puncture kit section of it I normally carry. Along with my Anderson’s bike prop in my gear, I suggested we go into Khancoban 2 up on his bike. Phone my brother and ask him to pick me up a rear tyre and bring it with him so we can fit it at the site. We went back to the Roadhouse and I caught my brother in time to buy a tyre and bring it with him.



After having a coffee at the roadhouse and topping up fuel for Sarge’ run home on Sunday, we headed back to Geehi, stopping at Murray 1 again because Sarge got something in his eye, but he got it out quickly and return to Geehi we did. Along the way I spotted a 7 foot snake off the riding line in one of the corners and then we had not one, but three close encounters with 4x4's towing their boats.




On getting back to Geehi we set about removing the old rear tyre to be ready for the new one on it’s way from Albury. Sarge supervised and intervened when he felt it was required and had a bit of a laugh at my first time efforts at removing a tyre.



Removing the wheel is something I had done before, but not a tyre. So we had some fun and we both laughed at me a bit, as per the captions under the pics. In the end it was off and we just had to wait for my brother to arrive.


Once he arrived it took 3 of us to get the new rubber onto the wheel and then the wheel back onto the bike. Touring equipment is just that. Handy if you need it, but not recommended for everyday use. I thought my lunch was going to pop out at one stage with getting the new tyre on, while Sarge and Neil were standing on each side of the rim. Ian had a compressor with him and being a MC mechanic seated the bead into place before we refitted the wheel.



All in all a huge wrap goes to Sarge, my brother Mick, Neil and Ian for their help in getting the tyre change completed. Also to one and all for their encouragement and good natured digs and as for me. Well I have to put my hand up and say “I’m not smarter than a fifth grader” made a silly mistake in stretching a tyre too far and listening to the wrong advice on tyre pressure with my last shop visit for work on The Mistress.


(Some history on the tyre originally fitted before the 2007 Kosciuszko. I picked a tech-screw up heading onto the M5 (Hume Hwy), but not realising it when heading down to the Autumn Leaf Rally in April. Getting home after ignoring noises and minor handling problems to find my tyre had flat spotted and only had 12 psi. Plugged the puncture and road it until Geehi completing 8,738 kilometres with it).

After doing the tyre it was time for a beer and catch up with the new arrivals, which quickly brought us back to our friends in their 4x4’s towing boats. Some close encounters by some and one of the lady riders wasn’t so lucky and was ran off the road by one of them, only resulting in minor damage and injury to bike and rider fortunately. Correct speed, road position and rider protection being worn was the reason for the minor damage and injury. The driver did stop and assist.

I caught up with my brother and wandered up to see some friends at the entrance to the Geehi Hut Camping grounds, which are quite stretched out and every group tends to go to their regular site. Having been told they caught some fish, I returned to our site, grabbed my rod and tried again, but nothing. Wrong lures, but maybe next time with the right gear.

As 7 pm approached, we headed down to the rally control point for the raffle and trophy presentation. Raffle prizes were a helmet, gloves, shirt, 3 caps, half a dozen notepads and plastic pens and a couple of keyring/mobile phone lanyards.



The usual trophies were awarded for longest distance, oldest, youngest and so on. The most notable going to a Queenslander who travelled over 1200 Kilometres to attend. Then it was back to the campfires and catch up with all and sundry before we each in turn headed for our tents.



I was first up at our site at 5:30 on Sunday and got a small fire going before making an espresso coffee and trying my luck with my wrong lures again.



Everyone else slowly came to life and the site was busy with people making breakfast or packing for the ride home. Bacon and egg rolls for us again. More espresso coffee for those who wanted some and then I packed up too.



Sarge was done ahead of me and headed home via Thredbo and once my brother was ready we tried to set off to Culcairn to see our Mother, but my bike wouldn’t start until I got a push from some of the guys. Got my gear back on and into Khancoban for a fuel up and more roll starting and onto Jingellic, Holbrook to Culcairn. Had a coffee break and chat before I headed home to Carlton and Mick went home to Albury.

The Mistress was now happy to start without being rolled. I had intended a different route home, but the starting problem made me change my plans, even though The Mistress started every time after every stop with a press of the starter button. I headed back to Holbrook and up the DRED to The Dog on the Tucker box service centre for a refuel, visor clean bottle of water.


Then back on the road until 20 K’s south of Goulburn for a numb bum break and then to the Illawarra Hwy exit and down through Moss Vale, stopping at the Pie shop at Robertson to get a pie for dinner at home with The Girl (brownie points toward the trout rally in two weeks). Down the Macquarie Pass and refuelled at Albion Park before going up the freeway to Carlton and getting the pie home in one piece.


A brilliant 618 kilometre trip down thru some great back-roads and main roads. A tyre change challenge with brilliant assistance and encouragement from everybody.

The trip home of 687 kilometres had some nice back roads my brother showed me until I got back to the DRED which I almost dozed off on several times from Holbrook until getting off it for the Illawarra Hwy. I actually had to listen to myself sing inside a helmet and then check to see how bad my plugged ears were bleeding on my next rest stop.

I completed a round trip of 1,305 Kilometres riding my 1995 Kawasaki ZX6R, The Mistress! 2 nights camping in the mountains with some great company. Who the hell needs to stay in 5 star crap!

Labels: ,

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<<Home